http://www2.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=30563892 Template Healthy N Spicy...: Bittergourd-Carrot-Shallot Thoran

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bittergourd-Carrot-Shallot Thoran


Dear All,
I am glad to be back to the world of blogging after a long break. Thanks for all the wishes.I hope everybody is doing fine.I am really enjoying all the new recipes in your blogs.
I am starting the blogging again with this healthy n spicy thoran.

Ingredients:-
Bittergourd - 1
Carrot - 2
Shallots - one handful
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp or as you needed
Salt - to taste
Coconut - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 2 cloves
Curry leaves - 2 or 3 leaves
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Whole chilli - 2

Method:-
Cut bittergourd,carrot and shallot into small pieces. If u want to reduce the bitter taste of bittergourd, keep the pieces in salt water for 30 minutes and wash well . Cook the vegetable pieces with turmeric,red chilli powder,salt and little water. Actually I used chinese bittergourd in this thoran. Because of the juicy,watery chinese bittergoud, I did not use water in this version. It has less bitter taste compared to indian bitter gourd. See chinese bittergourd fry from Ginger and mango.

Grind coconut with garic and curry leaves without adding water. Avoid smooth grinding. Just allow the things to mix up. Add the ground mixture to the cooked vegetables and mix well and simmer for 2 minutes.

Heat some oil and allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Add curry leaves and pieces of whole chilli. When the chilli become dark brown, pour it on to the curry and mix well. Serve with rice or chappathi.

9 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Surya ! Good to have u back ! Hope u had a wonderful time in India.
Nice recipe for bittergourd. I havent tried the Chinese one yet, will try it out soon.

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Sumitha said...

Hey Surya,How are you?So good that you are back!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger FH said...

Hello Surya , great recipe.

You are back.Hope you remember me, you went to India shortly after I started blogging:)

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Thanks Priya,sumitha,Asha.Thanks for the nice comment.Hope you are all doing fine.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger it1996 Kooras said...

hey..u r back...How was ur trip?Enjoyed?And the recipe sounds real helthy..good one..tell us more abour travel too

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No bittergourd so I used Mustard Greens, turned out great. Thanks Surya for this recipe.
Rory

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never tried Chinese bittermelon. I'm the only one who likes bittermelon in my family, if the chinese variety tastes less bitter, probably my family would like it. I would try that one out with your recipe.....thanks Surya for sharing this healthy recipe.

Love
Rege.

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! Sorry, I just ended my above comment like sending mail to my parents....endho oru ormayil tyoe cheydhadha....hee! hee! :)

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried this thoran & came out delicious, didnt use shallots though, still turned out good. Thx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home