Jackfruit with horse gram
Jackfruit can - 1(10 oz)
Shredded coconut - 1 cup(I used frozen)
Shallots - 1/2 cup
Garlic - 3 cloves
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
oil - 2tbsp
curry leaves - 1 sprig
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
1)Soak horse gram in enough water at least 8 hours or overnight.Pressure cook with some turmeric powder,salt and water.It may take at least 20 minutes to cook.
2) Open the jackfruit can and wash the jackfruit with lots of water and drain. Chop in a food processor into tiny pieces.
3) Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves,Shallots and garlic.Saute in a low flame till it is light brown.
4) Add chilli powder and saute for a minute in low flame. Next add shredded coconut and saute till all the moisture dried up.
5) Add chopped jack fruit pieces and cook till jackfruit is done.
6) Mix well with cooked horse gram and let the mixture heat very well.
7) Remove from heat and serve with rice or kanji.
This is my entry for JFI for this month hosted by jugalbandi.