http://www2.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=30563892 Template Healthy N Spicy...: Meen Mulakittathu( Fish in Red Chilli Gravy)

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Meen Mulakittathu( Fish in Red Chilli Gravy)

I am presenting today a simple fish curry which is my family favourite. My hubby prefers this type of fish curry more than with coconut mixed gravy. Fish pieces will be coated with spicy masala and tamarind gravy will not disappoint you, if you served with hot rice. You have to keep this curry at least 2 hours before serving to get the actual taste. Actually I keep this dish overnight to get tht spicy taste for the fish pieces.

Recipe:-

Fish- 250 gm
Red chilli powder- 1 1/2 tsp(I used kashmiri chilli powder)
Coriander powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
Tamarind - small amla sized ball
Fenugreek - 1/4 tsp
Shallots - 5 or 6(chopped)
Ginger- garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Tomato - 1 small(optional)
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - as needed
Water - as needed
Salt - to taste

Mix the spice powders with some water and keep it aside. Heat some oil in a pot(I used earthern pot here). Add fenugreek seeds and let it brown. Then add chopped shallots and curry leaves and saute. Add ginger - garlic paste and tomatoes saute till you see oil separate from tomatoes. Add spice paste and saute for 1 minute in low flame. Don't let it brown. Add tamarind juice mixed with enough water to cover the fish pieces . Let it boil till the raw smell of tamarind has gone. Add fish pieces and let it cook till the fish pieces are done. Pour some oil on top. I prefer to add a pinch of fenugreek powder to the curry at this stage. Shake the pot gently to mix all the things together. Do not use a spoon. Cover and let it rest at least two hours.

Fish Curry with hot rice
Happy Cooking!!

14 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger FH said...

No coconut curry is great!!I love the thin gravy too.Looks beautiful.Good to see more non-veg dishes now a days!:))
Happy Women's day!!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Shah cooks said...

Which part of kerala are u from? And where in NJ?I am in piscataway so curious where u got ur fish from.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first time here...great blog...~smile~

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Shaheen,I am from kunnamkulam in trichur district.Here I live in new brunswick area.I usually buy fish fom garden farmers market,US Highway 1,north brunswick-08902.The fish section is good there with fresh fishes like porgies,perch,red snapper...I used perch in this curry.You also get fresh fish from asian food centre in edison.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Thanks Asha.
Thanks Dilip.Welcome to my blog!!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Sri said...

Surya this my fav fish curry too...my appachi makes it this way and i love them a lot. Perfect color too. Thanks for posting the recipe.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Sri said...

Had to drop by again to let you know that i tried making this meen curry...I will give them 5 stars...loved loved loved it...have to say better than my appachi's he he he!!!! I wanted to take the snaps but the aroma, the color...coundn't resist myself...will surely make them again and post it my blog.Thanks once again for posting the recipe Surya.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Am Laxmi, moderator of the Indusladies website. As there is no contact mail id, I am posting this message here in the general section.
www.IndusLadies.com is a global online community and discussion board for
Indian ladies. We currently have 4000+ members, 15,000 unique visitors per
day and 400,000 page views per month. We are interested in a link exchange
with your site. Contact me at laxmi.indus@gmail.com
Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Maneka Nirmal said...

it looks spicy enough to tickle the tastebuds!nice recipe. thanks girl!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

>Thanks Sri,I am very happy to know that you tried the recipe and liked it.

>Thanks Maneka.Welcome to my blog!!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Shah cooks said...

OMG! i live in piscataway! i have seen the fish market but never tried it. will do so now. thanks. see i came back for the fish.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hai,

No coconut curry is great!!I love the thin gravy too.
Looks beautiful.
Thanks for posting the recipe.

******************

susi

Suffering from an addiction. This website has a lot of great resources and treatment centers.

bmtech

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hai,

It looks spicy enough to tickle the tastebuds!nice recipe.
Thanks girl!

#############

kannagi

Suffering from an addiction. This website has a lot of great resources and treatment centers.

bmtech

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous eco hotels said...

Hi friend amazing blog about "Meen Mulakittathu( Fish in Red Chilli Gravy)", is very creative and very professional information I like to learn more about the subject further, I am collecting new information to add to your blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home