http://www2.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=30563892 Template Healthy N Spicy...: Varna Puttu - Entry for JFI

Monday, January 01, 2007

Varna Puttu - Entry for JFI

Wishing You All A Very Happy And Propserous New Year.


Today I am presenting a healthier and colourful version of puttu, a traditional breakfast of kerala. Every malayali, living in any part of the world will not forget this wonderful tasty breakfast. Besides all,if you are a rice lover, you would love this dish. You can find nice puttu making recipes from these malayalee bloggers like RP, Priya, Reshma. I love puttu with kadala(chickpeas) curry . Here I am making puttu in a different style. I found this recipe in a magazine from the great cook Ummi Abdulla. She is one of my favourites.

The recipe for puttu is very easy if you have puttu makers pictured below. You can find the recipe for puttu from scratch without a puttu maker here.The next thing you need is good roasted rice flour. I know that all brands 0f rice flour available from Indian stores in US are not very good. I have read somewhere that Swad brand is better. I have not tried it. These flours have to be roasted for a while. Special puttu flours are also available from Indian stores. Here I am using homemade puttu flour. You can use brown rice four if you prefer a more healthier version.

Next you need shredded coconut. An essential ingredient in puttu. I thank Ashwini by selecting this nice ingredient for JFI of this month. It is a commonly used ingredient in indian kitchen. Try puttu with crunchy veggies and spicy masala.

Recipe follows:-

For Puttu:-

Puttu flour - 2 cup
Carrot - 1(medium sized)
Beans - 50 gm
Grean peas - 1/4 cup
Chilli powder - 1 pinch
salt - to taste

For masala:-

Coconut Shredded - 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
Red onion - 2 medium (finely chopped)
Kashmiri chilli powder - 1/2 tsp (I used it for color,You can use any other brand)
Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
Garlic - 2 cloves
Curry leaves - 2 or 3(Optional)
Oil - 2tsp
salt - to taste

Grate carrots using a grater. Cut beans into small pieces. Cook beans, carrot and green peas with chilli powder, salt and very little water. Don't overcook, the color will fade.

Add the vegetables and salt to the puttu flour and mix well. Wet the flour by adding water little by little. Add just enough water to keep it in the powdered form wet enough for steaming as shown in the figure. Keep the flour for 1/2 an hour to blend the ingredients. If you add more water, the flour should change to dough.

Grind coconut with chillipowder, garlic, fennel seeds, curry leaves and salt in a mixer without adding water. Don't grind too much. Just allow the ingredients to mix up. Heat oil in a pan and add finely chopped onion. Add the grounded mix when the onion becomes translucent and mix well.

See the puttu makers in the figure below. I used the cylindrical shaped one for making this dish. It has a large hole at the bottom which easily goes into the pressure cooker vent. Place the mesh like disc at the bottom of the cylinder to keep the flour in place. Just mix the puttu flour again with the hand. Put 2 tablespoon of coconut masala in the cylinder and put almost 1/3 cup wet puttu flour and repeat it till you reach the top of the cylinder and close the lid.

Boil some water in the cooker without placing the weight. Wait for steam to come out of the vent tube. Place the cylinder on the vent tube of cooker and steam it 3 to 5 minutes. Once steam comes out from the top of the cylinder, cook for two more minutes. Again cooking time depends on the kind of equipments one use, hence it may vary.


Take the puttu out slowly by inserting and pushing it out with a stick from the bottom of cylinder.
Serve it hot with vegetable kurma or chicken kurma. Happy Cooking!!!

14 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Blogger Shah cooks said...

wonderful entry. I just made erachi puttu the same way on the weekend!!Happy new year!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Happy New Year,Shaheen. I like erachi puttu and I had tried it many times. Thanks.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! I was looking for variations of puttu. Will definitely try this. I will need to bug shaheen too for that erachiputtu recipe.

Happy new year to you too.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Ashwini said...

I love that color of the puttu..gorgeous entry Surya. Thanks so much for participating in JFI. And a Happy new year

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

>Thanks RP.I had tried many variations puttu.will publish it soon.
>Thanks Ashwini.Happy new year.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger FH said...

Looks delicious,with Kadale curry, I can only imagine!:)

I don't have that Puttu maker but I could try staeming.I also tried to get a book by Ummi Abdulla but not available in Amazon.

Oh well! I just have to visit you instead!:)

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Have A Blessed New Year to u n ur family.
Good daY!

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Anjali Koli said...

A nice change but I guess non keralites may find it a little dry. I guess a palate needs to be developed for it.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger sra said...

Hi, came over from the round-up - attractive dish. I eat puttu v rarely but yours makes me want to sample it more often

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Thanks Asha,Thanks for the nice comment.
Thanks Bhargavi.Happy new year to you.
Thanks Sra,Anjali.Welcome to my blog!!

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This variation sounds very good and healthy. I will definitely try it out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Rg.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Sharmi said...

hi Surya, Nice mouth watering recipe of puttu. its my favourite. I dont eat non-veg so couldnt comment on the recent post. I am crazy about the traditional kerala food from my childhood.
will come back

cheers
sharmi

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RX neomercazole 50mg prandin Get shuddha guggulu Pharmacy accutane Visa/Mastercard/Amex/eCheck purim Pharmacy himcolin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home