http://www2.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=30563892 Template Healthy N Spicy...: Fish curry with raw mango

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fish curry with raw mango


This is my mom's special fish curry. The cooked raw mango pieces gives a special texture and taste to the curry. When the mango season arrives, she prepares many dishes with mango.This fish curry is one among them. It takes me to the fond memories of my mom's cooking. She will create different versions in fish curry by using kokum, mango, tamarind and erumban puli(a special type of fruit with tangy taste, I am sorry, I don't know the English name). I am trying to recreate her version here, I hope I can match her hand's own taste.

The recipe follows:

fish - 1lb
raw mango - 1, peeled
turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
red chilli powder - 2 tsp
coriander powder - 1tsp
pepper powder - 1/2tsp
fresh coconut - 1/2 cup packed
red onion- half,chopped
ginger - 2 inch piece
garlic cloves - 2
curry leaves-1 sprig
salt - as per taste

Clean fish and cut into medium sized pieces. Peel ginger and garlic. Grind it using a mortar and pestle. Cut the mango into 2 inch pieces.Grind coconut finely with 2 or 3 curry leaves.Mix all the items together with 2 cups of water in a vessel.The fish pieces and mango pieces should be immersed in water.That's the criteria.Put the vessel on a high flame.When it comes to boil, change the flame to low.Cook covered for another 20 minutes. Switch off the flame and pour some oil on top and put some curry leaves.The curry tastes better after 3 or 4 hours or overnight.


Brown Rice with Gherkin fry and Fish Curry

6 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger Annita said...

Hi Surya,
I'm here from the comment u had posted in my blog..Good going buddy..Welcome to the group..And i've got the oppurtunity to comment in ur blog for first time,huh?

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger archana said...

Welcome aboard Surya, have fun blogging!!!! Looking forward to read more of your posts. BTW you took my breath away with that Manga Fish curry photo, AWESOME !!!!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Hi Annita,
Thanks.happy blogging!

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Surya Hith said...

Hi archanat,
Thanks.I like all recipes presented in ur blog.Good presentation!The pictures shows how tasty they are!!
Happy blogging

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Vijiram said...

Hi Surya,

I am new to blog and happened to see your recipe for fish curry with mango. Looks different. I would try for sure..Thanks for the recipe

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger nehal rachh said...

hi surya

love the recipes- thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home